Delivering sustainable mining development and environment rehabilitation to the Trepça Mining Complex, Kosovo
Project Management and Advisory Services to the Trepça Mining Complex, Kosovo
United Nations Interim Administration in Kosovo/EU Pillar IV (UNMIK/PIV)
Mining & Minerals
Services (Technical Disciplines)
- International Development
- Environmental Management & Rehabilitation
- Sustainable Development
The Trepça Complex in Kosovo comprises eight lead-zinc mines, concentrators, lead and zinc smelters, refinery and associated industrial facilities. A Management and Advisory Team were asked to fill key line management positions to revitalise the mining complex in a sustainable manner, reporting to the Trepça Management Board until 2001, in a post-conflict situation.
Geoscience Ireland team directed the Trepça Mining Complex:
- Management & business planning to bring economically viable assets into production;
- Environmental remediation & clean-up;
- Accounts maintenance as per International Accounting Standards;
- Selling liquid assets, scrap metal, lead & zinc concentrate, silver, gold and other products in accordance with good business practice and subject to the direction and approval of UNMIK;
- Assisted the Department of Trade and Industry to prepare discrete Trepca assets for commercialisation through long-term leases or management contracts.
- Initiating retraining of retrenched members of workforce.
Geoscience Ireland Contact
Dr. Deirdre Lewis – firstname.lastname@example.org