Upgrading of 34 km of two-lane Trunk Road from gravel road to Class 1 Bitumen standard under EDF financing conditions.
Trans Caprivi Highway Reconstruction, Namibia
Caprivi strip in Northern Namibia
Ministry of Works, Transport and Communication; Funding Agency: EU, European Development Fund
Services (Technical Disciplines)
Construction supervision and management
- The upgrading of 34 km of two lane Trunk Road No 8 (Section 6) from gravel road to Class 1 Bitumen standard under EDF financing conditions.
- The 34 km of Section 6 was beyond a fault line and in very different geological conditions.
- The naturally occurring soils were very much classed as ‘problem soils’ which necessitated considerable research to devise a suitable soil stabilisation strategy for the pavement.
- A cement-bitumen stabilised calcrete was used for both base and sub-base, and this was surfaced with a 19 mm chip seal plus a final seal of hot sand-asphalt mix.
- Project Administration
- site supervision and contract management
- construction quality control
- materials testing
- survey and setting out
- measurement and valuation certification
- site meetings
- progress reporting
- budget forecasting
- general financial control of expenditure
Geoscience Ireland Contact
Richard Crowe – email@example.com